Dr. Agnieszka Stasiewicz-Bieńkowska specializes in girlhood studies, Young Adult and popular culture, gender representations, fantasy and the Gothic. She is the author of Girls in Contemporary Vampire Fiction (Palgrave Macmillan 2021), which explores the narratives of girlhood in twenty-first-century vampire texts, mapping the ways in which they engage in larger cultural conversations on young femininities. She is co-editor of “Vampiric Transformation: The Popular Politics of the (Post) Romantic Vampire”, a 2021 special issue of Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies; and of Hospitality, Rape, and Consent in Vampire Popular Culture (Palgrave 2017), a collection of essays examining the vampire as a vehicle for cultural ideas of home, violence and consent. Agnieszka’s recent works further comprise articles exploring vampire texts with the focus on self-harming, depression and mental disorder (“When the World Starts Crumbling,” Continuum 2021); transmedial imaginings of female agency and desire (“Lustful Ladies, She-Demons and Good Little Girls,” Continuum 2019); and representations of gendered violence (“The Lower Dog in the Room,” Palgrave 2017).
She is a recipient of two scholarships from the Swedish Institute within the Visby Programme; Harmonia Grant from the Polish National Science Centre (“Negotiating Cultural Differences in the Digital Communication Era”; team project); Dagmar and Nils William Olsson Fellowship from the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center (Augustana College, Ill., USA); John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies Grant (Berlin, Germany); two grants within Griffith University International Workshop Award (travel and participation in symposia Vampires and Popular Culture 2014, and Vampiric Transformations 2018, as a keynote speaker); and the JU Faculty of International and Political Studies’ grants for young scholars.
Dr. Stasiewicz-Bieńkowska is a member of the International Research Society for Children’s Literature. She is fluent in English and Swedish.Functions:
- Visiting Professors – Coordinator
- Admissions Committee for the Una Europa Heritage PhD Consortium Programme (Una-Her-Doc) 2022–2023 – Secretary
- Jagiellonian University Coordinator of a study tour to the United States: “Religion in American Society” 2015 (in cooperation with the Institute for American Studies of the University of Leipzig, Germany)
- Jagiellonian University Administrator of the EU-AU ICI-ECP global exchange program for students and researchers: Project “Border Crossings: People and Places” (2011–2013)
- Young Adult and Popular Culture
- Girlhood Studies and Gender Representations
- Fantasy and the Gothic