MA in history 1974, PhD in history 1981, habilitation 1989; academic title of professor 1995; position of full professor 2008.
Functions at the Jagiellonian University:
- 2016 - today: head of the Department of Latin America IAiSP UJ
- 2008-2016: Director of IAiSP in the years
- 1974-1976: assistant, Institute of History, Jagiellonian University
- 1976-1981: assistant, Institute of Polish Language Research, Jagiellonian University.
- 1981-1990: adjunct, Institute of Polish Language Research, Jagiellonian University.
- 1990-1995: docent, Institute of Polish Language Research, Jagiellonian University.
- 1991, 1997, 1998 until today: head of the Department of the History of International Migration Movements at the Polish Institute of Polonia (today: Institute of American Studies and Polish Diaspora).
- 1993-1996: director of the Polonia Institute, Jagiellonian University
- 2004 - 2008: deputy director at the Institute of American Studies and Polish Diaspora
- 2005: acting Head of the Department of Latin America IAiSP UJ
- History of Polonia in the USA (XIX and XX century)
- The history of Polish and European migration in the modern and new era
- Social history of the USA
- American Ethnic History and Interethnic Relations in the USA
- Immigrant childhood children in the US (XIX-XX centuries)
- Inter-ethnic relations in the USA in the 19th and 20th centuries
- History of the American Polonia until 1939.
- Childhood in ethnic groups in the USA in the 1930s
- 1979-1980, 10 months Fundacja Kościuszkowska, USA
- 1986, 10 months University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, USA
- 1986, 1 month Immigration History Research Center, Minneapolis-St. Paul travel grant
- 1986, Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Travel Grant from the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs, Wayne State University in Detroit
- 1988-1990, participation in the international research project "Conflict and Cooperation: The Experience of Immigrants from Central and Eastern Europe in American City - Cleveland, Ohio, 1880-1930", Volkswagen Stiftung
- 1991-1992, 10 months American Council of Learned Societies scholarship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- 1995, 1996, 1999 - DAAD (Bochum)
- 1997, JFK Institut, Freie Universität Berlin, scholarship 6 weeks
- 1997-1998, Visiting Professor of Rock Foundation Grant, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- 1997, Scientific Research Committee - a grant for Polish-American research cooperation on interethnic relations
- 2000, Visiting Professor, Skalny Research Grant, Rochester, N.Y., USA
- 2002, Visiting Professor, Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, CT, USA
- 2005, 1 month scholarship from the Lanckoronski Foundation, Rome
- 2011, 1 month scholarship of the Lanckoronski Foundation Rome
- Trips with Erasmus and CEEPUS lectures to the university: Santiago de Compostella, Catania, Roma III, Graz
Membership and functions:
- 1993 - 1998, a member of the Scientific Council of the Polish American Historical Association, USA
- 1991 - 2007, member of the Polish Academy of Sciences Research Committee
- 2007, member of the Committee for Migration of Population and Polonia at the Presidium of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- 1991 - 2004, member of the Editorial Committee of the quarterly "Przegląd Polonijny"
- 2004 - 2008, editor-in-chief of the "Przegląd Polonijny" quarterly (Polish Academy of Sciences)
- from 1998 - today, Alumn Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria
- from 1999 - until today, a member of the Editorial Board of Dve Domoviny / Two Homelands (Ljubliana, Slovenia)
- 0d 1999 d served, a member of the Editorial Board of the Polish and American Studies Series, Ohio State University, USA
- 1999 - 2005, member of the Editorial Board of Central European Studies of the University of Rochester Press, University of Rochester, USA
- from 2003 - until today, a member of the editorial committee of "Politeia. Letter from the Faculty of International and Political Studies of the Jagiellonian University "
- member of the Editorial Board of the "Ad Americam" magazine (Kraków, UJ)
- since 2003 - until today, a member of the Scientific Council Center de documentation of sur migrations humaines, Dudelange, Luxembourg
- since 2005 - until today, a member of the Editorial Board of the "Rocznik Polonii" (Bydgoszcz)
- 2004-2005, member of the Program Committee of the First Congress of Polish Scientific Societies in Abroad, Polish Academy of Learning, Cracow, September 8-11, 2005.
- 2004 - 2007, member of the Organizational Committee of the 1st Congress of Foreign Researchers in Poland, Cracow
- 2010 - 2015, member of the Committee for Research on Migration of Population and Polish Diaspora of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- 2015- 2018, member of the Migration Research Committee, at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- 2007 - today, vice-chairman of the Inter-faculty Committee of the Polish Academy of Learning for Diaspora Research
- 2009-2012, member of the Scientific Council (Council) Polish American Historical Association, USA
- 2008-2012, member of Consello Cientifico "Estudos Migratorios. Revista Galega de Análise das Migracións" (Santiago de Compostella, Spain)
- 2012 - today, a member of the Editorial Board (Editorial Advisory Board): Migration - Ethnicity - Nation. Cracow Studies in Culture, Society and Politics, Frankfurt - Berlin - Bern: Peter Lang
- 2013 - today, a member of the Editorial Board of "The Polish Review" (New York), PIASA
- 2015 - today, a member of Editorial Board (Editorial Board) "Polish American Studies" (USA)
- 2012 - today Chairman of the Program Board "Migration Studies - Polonia Review", PAU, Warsaw
- 1984: Ministry of National Education, award for the book Reemigration from the United States to Poland 1919-1924
- 1988: individual prize for them Florian Znaniecki for the book Polish workers, work and trade unions
- 1994: Joseph Swastek Award for the best article published in the Polish American Studies monthly in 1994.
- 2003: prize for achievements in research on the Polish diaspora and emigration (for the work of Diaspora Polska, Cracow 2001) of the World Council for Research on the Polish Diaspora
- 2004: Mieczysław Haiman Polish American Historical Association for all the merits for the research of the Polish ethnic group in the USA
- 2006: Joseph Swastek Award for the best article published in the Polish American Studies semester in 2006.
- 2007: First-level individual award of the Rector of the Jagiellonian University for the monograph Migracje Europejczyków 1650-1914
- 2000: Złoty Krzyż Zasługi RP
- 2003: Nagroda Światowej Rady Badań nad Polonią for outstanding achievements in research on the Polish diaspora
- 2004: Medal M. Haimana Polish American Historical Association, USA for outstanding services in American Polonia research